Back pain is a common ailment that affects many individuals at some point in time in their life. According to Las Cruces physical therapist Dennis L. Prickett, back pain can be very painful for those who experience it and can become chronic if left untreated.
In addition, Prickett points out that back pain can have different levels of severity and it can be hard for individuals to identify triggers and treat this pain on their own. This is in part because back pain can be caused by a variety of factors such as:
- A muscle sprain or strain
- A herniated disc
- Inflammation of the sacroiliac joints
- Slipped vertebrae or a stress fracture in the spine
- Arthritis or other degenerative conditions
Prickett notes that because of the variety of triggers that can lead to back pain, customized care is key to successfully treating and preventing back pain in the future. A licensed physical therapist can work with you to improve your symptoms by helping you to:
- Modify your environment. A licensed physical therapist can help you make modifications to your environment to reduce daily stress on your back and spine.
- Improve your stability and strength. Stabilizing your core and muscles supporting your back can allow you to stand up straight more easily and perform everyday activities with little to no pain.
- Increase your range of motion. Stretching can help you increase your range of motion over time, allowing you to more easily walk, bend forward, and stand up straight.
- Reduce painful muscle spasms. A licensed physical therapist can use a variety of treatments such as hot and cold therapy, laser therapy, and massage therapy, to relax your muscles and reduce inflammation.
A physical therapist can help you pinpoint the cause of your chronic back pain and develop a customized treatment plan to help you improve your symptoms. If you would like to learn if physical therapy is right for you, we invite you to contact our clinic.